Saturday, April 16, 2011

In praise of worthy women

Grams and Mom - their phenomenalness is showing...
Someone has written "Sarah Falin is coming" in bright yellow chalk on the sidewalk in front of the state capitol.

I don't know what will happen when she gets here tomorrow, and I haven't decided whether I'll be a part of it when it does. I do know that I've spent the last week at Line Breaks 2011, and I have seen some majorly inspirational and painfully relevant pieces. Tonight's performance of "Birdies" and "Get a Room" inspired me to publish this post in honor of phenomenal women everywhere. It's an audio essay, so I think it pretty much speaks for itself.

Intro: With Sarah Palin en route to Wisconsin, Madisonian Lauren Peterson tries on a different kind of protest.



Follow-up: If you're just dying to find out more about some of the phenomenal women I mentioned, check out their work. And let me know what women YOU think we should be talking about tomorrow instead of you-know-who.

Bonnie Greene's Music Makers
University of Wisconsin - Madison Arts Institute (spearheaded by none other than Norma Saldivar)
Jasmine Mans
Lauren Rutlin

No comments:

Post a Comment